- WESTBARNS, a village, in the parish of Dunbar, county of Haddington, 2 miles (W. by S.) from the town of Dunbar; containing 170 inhabitants. This village is situated on the west side of Belhaven bay, and on the road from Dunbar to Haddington; it is called Westbarns in contradistinction to Eastbarns, a less considerable village also on the coast, and distant from it about five miles. The principal support of the place was formerly a large distillery employing a number of hands, and a flax-mill erected in 1792; but the expectations of the proprietors not having been realized, both have been relinquished. The small stream of the Beil, flowing through the parish for about three miles, passes at the village into the bay of Belhaven.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Eastbarns — EASTBARNS, a village, in the parish of Dunbar, county of Haddington, 3 miles (S. E.by E.) from Dunbar; containing 125 inhabitants. It is situated near the coast of the German Sea, in the eastern extremity of the parish, and is distant from… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland